One size doesn’t fit all. From our in-depth family/guardian intake process to matching clients with the appropriate caregiver, we personalize our services to meet the needs of our clients and their loved ones.
Continuity of Care
At All About Seniors, you and your loved one can count on the continuity of our services. We pride ourselves on having the same caregiver working with our clients. We create meaningful relationships and strive to enrich the lives of our clients by understanding and honouring who they are.
Registered Nurse 24/7
At all times, our Home Care clients are assisted with their medical concerns. Our caregivers are supported by a Registered Nurse who is on call 24/7 to deal with requests, big or small.
Our Self Managed Care Services
Self-managed care is a program offered through Alberta Health Services (AHS). The program provides resources to directly pay for and manage personal care and home care support services.
The self-managed care agreement is a legal contract between AHS and the client or their legal representative. Agreements are signed for a one (1) year term.
Anyone living in Alberta with a healthcare card and living in a community setting is eligible and must:
- Have assessed unmet health care needs within AHS Provincial Home Care Service Guidelines.
- Have stable health and predictable care needs.
- Need ongoing personal care and home care support services (e.g., longer-term needs).
- Be willing and able to assume the responsibilities and risks associated with contracting services for their own or a loved one’s personal or home care support services (a legal representative may do this on behalf of a client).
What Services Are Provided?
Services are based on the home care assessment that is completed by the AHS case manager assigned to you (or your loved one).
These services can included:
- Personal care – including assistance with personal hygiene, dressing, toileting, mobilization and transferring, eating, oral care and medication management.
- Home support services – including assistance with preparing meals, homemaking and recreation activities.
- Respite care – includes day, evening or night care to give unpaid caregivers (generally family) a break from caregiving.
Self-managed care funds cannot be used for any other purposes. Professional services, such as nursing, social work or therapy services cannot be purchased with self-managed care funds but will be arranged by the home care case manager, if needed.
What Are The Expectations of Self-managed Care Recipients?
You, your loved one and/or their legal representative are responsible to:
- Recruit, interview, hire, train, supervise, schedule employees, direct the employees in the provision of care, evaluate employees’ performance, manage salary and payroll, and, when necessary, terminate the employees, as well as develop a back-up plan to ensure that care can be provided at short notice if the regular employee is unavailable.
- Each quarter you must complete and submit reports to AHS that confirm the self-managed care funds spent.
- Meet Canada Revenue Agency federal tax regulations (e.g., register for a business number; withhold income tax, Canada Pension Plan and Employment Insurance contributions from employees’ wages); as well as meet Alberta employment standards for all employees.
- Notify the Alberta Health Services home care case manager within 72 hours if there is any change in your loved one’s health status, care needs or living arrangements, such as hospitalization.
- Ensure the proper documentation is in place if the person responsible is your or your loved one’s legal representative (e.g., guardian under the Adult Guardianship and Trusteeship Act, agent under the Personal Directive Act, trustee under the Adult Guardianship and Trustee Act or attorney under the Powers of Attorney Act).
Who Can Be Hired?
- It is the responsibility of you, your loved one and/or their legal representative to ensure that each employee is legally allowed to work in Canada.
- Family, friends and informal caregivers are not allowed to be hired as paid care providers.
- You may also choose to hire a private home care agency.
Why Hire A Private Home Care Agency Like All About Seniors Versus Doing It On Your Own?
Self-managed care is a great way to be in control of the care of yourself or a loved one but the behind the scenes management of an employee or employees can be quite stressful and difficult to deal with.
- At All About Seniors, we can be responsible for all the behind-the-scenes management.
- We are a local Calgary agency that meets Alberta employment standards and the Canada Revenue Agency regulations.
- All About Seniors vigorously screen all employees, including a current police check, looking for only the best employees to care for you or your loved one.
- We listen to your needs and match the best caregiver to those needs.
- All employees are under the supervision of management.
- Reports are sent to you and/or your loved ones after each visit, so you remain aware of what is happening.
- All About Seniors is licensed, insured and carry Worker’s Compensation.
Founded in 1997, All About Seniors has always taken pride in providing more than just caregiving services. We are dedicated to improving our clients’ quality of life. We proudly provide Compassionate Companion Care and Home Care Services to Calgary seniors living in any environment, whether that be at home, assisted living or in full care facilities. Through interaction with our incredible caregivers, our clients experience enriched lives, improving their happiness and the peace of mind of the families who love them.
We believe in creating meaningful relationships with our clients and their families by employing caregivers who are emotionally available. We strive to know the individual needs of each client, respecting who they are and who they were prior to their needs change.
We also understand that our credentials are important to you. All About Seniors conducts Police Clearance checks, personality screenings and job qualification interviews on all our caregivers. Our leadership team provides continuous coaching and mentorship to staff members throughout their tenure.
We understand this journey can be overwhelming. With 20 years of combined hands-on experience, our office staff are here to support and listen. Each and every All About Seniors staff member is provided training and ongoing education from licensed educators, certified by the Alzheimer Society of Calgary. They are trained to work with concerns common in seniors, including Alzheimer’s and other forms of Dementia.
All About Seniors is trusted by the Calgary Court System’s Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee as a valuable part of the care team with their clients.
Glowing Client Reviews
“Several years ago I spoke with Lynn because I needed someone to help my Mom with grocery shopping and other errands while I was travelling. Things worked out so well and Mom enjoyed her visits so much that we changed to weekly service year round. We both appreciate the professionalism and kindness that Lynn and her staff display. Mom’s visits with Joanne are a highlight of her day. All About Seniors has been extremely flexible with us as Mom ages and her needs have increased. It is wonderful to have a weekly update when I cannot be there to keep an eye on her myself. I would not hesitate to recommend this outstanding group of people to anyone.”
“Finding All About Seniors has been absolutely life-changing for my Grandmother and myself.
Having lost my mom to cancer I found it really overwhelming to make sure my 96-year-old grandma was getting enough companionship and her care was not falling through the cracks.
We hired All About Seniors for 2 visits a week and the difference it has made in my grandma’s happiness is incredible, we love it so much we have gone up to 5 visits a week!
She looks forward to the visits so much and they bring so much light into her days!! It helps me sleep better at night knowing she has someone checking in on her and the daily update emails have been so helpful for me to keep a pulse on what is going on when I am unable to visit for extended periods.”